Orangutan at risk | HLN TV
Orangutans in Indonesia could be on the brink of extinction all for a product many Americans do not even know they are consuming. The Orangutans natural habitat in Indonesia are allegedly being burned down and decimated to make room for trees that produce palm oil.
Palm oil is a cheap ingredient that is used in almost half the items in American grocery stores. But because palm oil goes by so many different names it can be hard for consumers to identify it in the products they are purchasing.
Jane Velez-Mitchell spoke to Rolf Skar the Forest Campaign Director for Greenpeace USA. For more information visit Greenpeace.
To find out how you can adopt an orangutan check this link.
sign the petition at www.change.org/savetripa2
See the full story Friday night on Jane Velez-Mitchell at 7pm ET on HLN.
About endoftheiconsTripa peat swamps, once hosting the largest density of orangutan population in the world are now being exterminated by palm oil company working illegally. The last bits of the peat swamp forest are being smashed and sumatran orangutan are forced towards local extinction. are we witnessing the end of the icons? what are we doing about it?
- Update petisi: DUKUNGAN MENDESAK DIPERLUKAN UNTUK PENYELAMATAN ORANGUTAN DI KAWASAN EKOSISTEM LEUSER! wp.me/p2k0o5-s4 6 days ago
- Petition updates: URGENT SUPPORT NEEDED TO SAVE THE ORANGUTANS OF THE LEUSER ECOSYSTEM! wp.me/p2k0o5-s1 6 days ago
- Palm Oil: The Other Kind of Oil Spill wp.me/p2k0o5-rZ 2 weeks ago
- PRESS RELEASE : Aceh NGOs call on the European Union to urgently mediate as conflict escalates over Aceh… wp.me/p2k0o5-rU 1 month ago
- Aceh Lawmakers Reject Clarification of Interior Ministry wp.me/p2k0o5-rR 1 month ago
- In precedent-setting case, palm oil company fined $30M for destroying orangutan forest wp.me/p2k0o5-rP 3 months ago
- Palm oil company fined US$30m for clearing 1,000 hectares in Indonesia wp.me/p2k0o5-rN 3 months ago
- Aceh Reports Sixth Elephant Death This Year wp.me/p2k0o5-rK 4 months ago
- Sign the petition! We need you! http://t.co/10ZHjdRMtO 4 months ago
- Have you sign the petition? change.org/petitions/prot… 4 months ago
- Walking toward extinction. Act now! http://t.co/mJfZqQX8GN 4 months ago
- They Need You! http://t.co/23YR124VQn 4 months ago
- “@orangutans: YEL SESALKAN PENUNDAAN PEMBACAAN PUTUSAN GUGATAN KLH - Antara Aceh bit.ly/1d1ZwOm” 4 months ago
- RT @BillyCoxLive: "I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying."- Michael Jordan 4 months ago
- RT @CaroleAnneCAF: 40% of Tasmania an island that covers 68,332 km2, is national parks, & World Heritage sites. Is about the same size as M… 4 months ago
- Thanks for all the RT!! 4 months ago
- @graspunep have faxed a letter for Aceh Governor! Reqesting World Heritage status for Leuser Ecosystem, what about u? endoftheicons.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/grasp-… 4 months ago
- [FAX ACTION] World Heritage for Leuser Ecosystem letter template and contact list. wp.me/p2k0o5-rA 4 months ago
- RT @mongabay: Big trees, like the old-growth forests they inhabit, are declining globally news.mongabay.com/2012/0126-big_… 4 months ago
- THESE ARE THE RECOMMENDATIONS FROM ACEH'S SPATIAL PLAN WORKSHOP wp.me/p2k0o5-rx 4 months ago
- Update petisi: DUKUNGAN MENDESAK DIPERLUKAN UNTUK PENYELAMATAN ORANGUTAN DI KAWASAN EKOSISTEM LEUSER!
- Petition updates: URGENT SUPPORT NEEDED TO SAVE THE ORANGUTANS OF THE LEUSER ECOSYSTEM!
- Palm Oil: The Other Kind of Oil Spill
- PRESS RELEASE : Aceh NGOs call on the European Union to urgently mediate as conflict escalates over Aceh Parliament’s illegal land use plan
- Aceh Lawmakers Reject Clarification of Interior Ministry
- In precedent-setting case, palm oil company fined $30M for destroying orangutan forest
- Palm oil company fined US$30m for clearing 1,000 hectares in Indonesia
- Aceh Reports Sixth Elephant Death This Year
- [FAX ACTION] World Heritage for Leuser Ecosystem letter template and contact list.
- THESE ARE THE RECOMMENDATIONS FROM ACEH’S SPATIAL PLAN WORKSHOP
- Rogue Palm Oil Company, Fearing Negative Ruling, Initiates Conflict with Indonesian Court
- Western black rhino officially declared extinct
- Plantations winnow tigers down to few hundreds
- The Tale of Papa Genk
- Soldiers in Aceh jailed for owning rare animals
- The battle to save Sumatra’s elephants from extinction
- It’s Not All Bad: Americans and Palm Oil (Nat Geo)
- Another Elephant Found Dead in Aceh
- Hotspots increase in Sumatra, haze could return: NEA
- Indonesia: Forestry Failures Jeopardize ‘Green Growth’