Orangutan at risk | HLN TV
Orangutans in Indonesia could be on the brink of extinction all for a product many Americans do not even know they are consuming. The Orangutans natural habitat in Indonesia are allegedly being burned down and decimated to make room for trees that produce palm oil.
Palm oil is a cheap ingredient that is used in almost half the items in American grocery stores. But because palm oil goes by so many different names it can be hard for consumers to identify it in the products they are purchasing.
Jane Velez-Mitchell spoke to Rolf Skar the Forest Campaign Director for Greenpeace USA. For more information visit Greenpeace.
To find out how you can adopt an orangutan check this link.
sign the petition at www.change.org/savetripa2
See the full story Friday night on Jane Velez-Mitchell at 7pm ET on HLN.
About endoftheiconsTripa peat swamps, once hosting the largest density of orangutan population in the world are now being exterminated by palm oil company working illegally. The last bits of the peat swamp forest are being smashed and sumatran orangutan are forced towards local extinction. are we witnessing the end of the icons? what are we doing about it?
- “@orangutans: YEL SESALKAN PENUNDAAN PEMBACAAN PUTUSAN GUGATAN KLH - Antara Aceh bit.ly/1d1ZwOm” 2 days ago
- RT @BillyCoxLive: "I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying."- Michael Jordan 2 days ago
- RT @CaroleAnneCAF: 40% of Tasmania an island that covers 68,332 km2, is national parks, & World Heritage sites. Is about the same size as M… 2 days ago
- Thanks for all the RT!! 2 days ago
- @graspunep have faxed a letter for Aceh Governor! Reqesting World Heritage status for Leuser Ecosystem, what about u? endoftheicons.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/grasp-… 4 days ago
- [FAX ACTION] World Heritage for Leuser Ecosystem letter template and contact list. wp.me/p2k0o5-rA 5 days ago
- RT @mongabay: Big trees, like the old-growth forests they inhabit, are declining globally news.mongabay.com/2012/0126-big_… 1 week ago
- THESE ARE THE RECOMMENDATIONS FROM ACEH'S SPATIAL PLAN WORKSHOP wp.me/p2k0o5-rx 2 weeks ago
- Rogue Palm Oil Company, Fearing Negative Ruling, Initiates Conflict with Indonesian Court wp.me/p2k0o5-rr 3 weeks ago
- RT @borneoaction: What are you doing this week for #OrangutanCaringWeek 2013? Find activities near you at ow.ly/qPwVD 3 weeks ago
- RT @LeoDiCaprio: 30k elephants killed last year. Want to put an end to this? Let's start in the U.S. Pls sign & share: http://t.co/6HQGfjyP… 3 weeks ago
- RT @SumatranTiger1: In Indonesia we have logging, Palm Oil and now prime areas will be taken for Sugar. Please sign. fb.me/21KryL6Cu 3 weeks ago
- RT @LagerWhale: Deforestation around the globe accounts for 20% of greenhouse emissions annually - there's ALWAYS better options than clear… 3 weeks ago
- Western black rhino officially declared extinct wp.me/p2k0o5-ro 1 month ago
- Plantations winnow tigers down to few hundreds wp.me/p2k0o5-rl 1 month ago
- The Tale of Papa Genk wp.me/p2k0o5-rh 1 month ago
- Soldiers in Aceh jailed for owning rare animals wp.me/p2k0o5-rc 1 month ago
- The battle to save Sumatra's elephants from extinction wp.me/p2k0o5-r4 1 month ago
- It’s Not All Bad: Americans and Palm Oil (Nat Geo) wp.me/p2k0o5-r2 4 months ago
- Another Elephant Found Dead in Aceh wp.me/p2k0o5-qY 4 months ago
- [FAX ACTION] World Heritage for Leuser Ecosystem letter template and contact list.
- THESE ARE THE RECOMMENDATIONS FROM ACEH’S SPATIAL PLAN WORKSHOP
- Rogue Palm Oil Company, Fearing Negative Ruling, Initiates Conflict with Indonesian Court
- Western black rhino officially declared extinct
- Plantations winnow tigers down to few hundreds
- The Tale of Papa Genk
- Soldiers in Aceh jailed for owning rare animals
- The battle to save Sumatra’s elephants from extinction
- It’s Not All Bad: Americans and Palm Oil (Nat Geo)
- Another Elephant Found Dead in Aceh
- Hotspots increase in Sumatra, haze could return: NEA
- Indonesia: Forestry Failures Jeopardize ‘Green Growth’
- Elephant poaching
- Students Urge Court to Withdraw PT Kalista Alam’s Permit
- Peat Fires Within PT. Kalista Alam Caused Through Human Act
- Flood in Tripa Caused By Damaged Peat Function
- Why Indonesia Must Look to India to Save the Sumatran Tiger
- Indonesia’s fires are of global concern
- Special report Palm oil’s forgotten victims: Sumatran elephants suffer in rush for ‘liquid ivory’
- Indonesian fires highlight weak governance and corruption