Listed on the International Union for Conservation of Nature’s (IUCN) Red List as critically endangered, meaning they face an extremely high risk of extinction in the immediate future, these animals may not live to see the end of the next decade without the a similar effort of human intervention that brought them to the brink in the first place.
Although featured in the list is the little known Sumatran Rhino (Dicerorhinus sumatrensis) and well known Sumatran Orangutan (Pongo abelii) missing in the list is also the Sumatran Elephant (Elephas maximus ssp. sumatranus) and Sumatran Tiger (Panthera tigris ssp. sumatrae) to round out the iconic ‘big four’ of the Sumatran jungle, all of which are classified as ‘Critically Endangered’ and found within the Leuser Ecosystem.
Is this really the end of the icons, or is this just the point in history where we turned things around? What we do next matters, what
you do now counts.
- VIDEO: Sumatran tiger to meet his match (bbc.co.uk)
- Sumatran Orangutan Species on the Brink as 3,950 Acre Tripa Peat Swamp Decimated (endoftheicons.wordpress.com)
Tags: Iconic Species
About endoftheiconsTripa peat swamps, once hosting the largest density of orangutan population in the world are now being exterminated by palm oil company working illegally. The last bits of the peat swamp forest are being smashed and sumatran orangutan are forced towards local extinction. are we witnessing the end of the icons? what are we doing about it?
- Indonesian activist wins Goldman Prize for fighting palm oil, deforestation wp.me/p2k0o5-s6 3 months ago
- Update petisi: DUKUNGAN MENDESAK DIPERLUKAN UNTUK PENYELAMATAN ORANGUTAN DI KAWASAN EKOSISTEM LEUSER! wp.me/p2k0o5-s4 4 months ago
- Petition updates: URGENT SUPPORT NEEDED TO SAVE THE ORANGUTANS OF THE LEUSER ECOSYSTEM! wp.me/p2k0o5-s1 4 months ago
- Palm Oil: The Other Kind of Oil Spill wp.me/p2k0o5-rZ 4 months ago
- PRESS RELEASE : Aceh NGOs call on the European Union to urgently mediate as conflict escalates over Aceh… wp.me/p2k0o5-rU 5 months ago
- Aceh Lawmakers Reject Clarification of Interior Ministry wp.me/p2k0o5-rR 5 months ago
- In precedent-setting case, palm oil company fined $30M for destroying orangutan forest wp.me/p2k0o5-rP 7 months ago
- Palm oil company fined US$30m for clearing 1,000 hectares in Indonesia wp.me/p2k0o5-rN 7 months ago
- Aceh Reports Sixth Elephant Death This Year wp.me/p2k0o5-rK 8 months ago
- Sign the petition! We need you! http://t.co/10ZHjdRMtO 8 months ago
- Have you sign the petition? change.org/petitions/prot… 8 months ago
- Walking toward extinction. Act now! http://t.co/mJfZqQX8GN 8 months ago
- They Need You! http://t.co/23YR124VQn 8 months ago
- “@orangutans: YEL SESALKAN PENUNDAAN PEMBACAAN PUTUSAN GUGATAN KLH - Antara Aceh bit.ly/1d1ZwOm” 8 months ago
- RT @BillyCoxLive: "I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying."- Michael Jordan 8 months ago
- RT @CaroleAnneCAF: 40% of Tasmania an island that covers 68,332 km2, is national parks, & World Heritage sites. Is about the same size as M… 8 months ago
- Thanks for all the RT!! 8 months ago
- @graspunep have faxed a letter for Aceh Governor! Reqesting World Heritage status for Leuser Ecosystem, what about u? endoftheicons.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/grasp-… 8 months ago
- [FAX ACTION] World Heritage for Leuser Ecosystem letter template and contact list. wp.me/p2k0o5-rA 8 months ago
- RT @mongabay: Big trees, like the old-growth forests they inhabit, are declining globally news.mongabay.com/2012/0126-big_… 8 months ago
- Indonesian activist wins Goldman Prize for fighting palm oil, deforestation
- Update petisi: DUKUNGAN MENDESAK DIPERLUKAN UNTUK PENYELAMATAN ORANGUTAN DI KAWASAN EKOSISTEM LEUSER!
- Petition updates: URGENT SUPPORT NEEDED TO SAVE THE ORANGUTANS OF THE LEUSER ECOSYSTEM!
- Palm Oil: The Other Kind of Oil Spill
- PRESS RELEASE : Aceh NGOs call on the European Union to urgently mediate as conflict escalates over Aceh Parliament’s illegal land use plan
- Aceh Lawmakers Reject Clarification of Interior Ministry
- In precedent-setting case, palm oil company fined $30M for destroying orangutan forest
- Palm oil company fined US$30m for clearing 1,000 hectares in Indonesia
- Aceh Reports Sixth Elephant Death This Year
- [FAX ACTION] World Heritage for Leuser Ecosystem letter template and contact list.
- THESE ARE THE RECOMMENDATIONS FROM ACEH’S SPATIAL PLAN WORKSHOP
- Rogue Palm Oil Company, Fearing Negative Ruling, Initiates Conflict with Indonesian Court
- Western black rhino officially declared extinct
- Plantations winnow tigers down to few hundreds
- The Tale of Papa Genk
- Soldiers in Aceh jailed for owning rare animals
- The battle to save Sumatra’s elephants from extinction
- It’s Not All Bad: Americans and Palm Oil (Nat Geo)
- Another Elephant Found Dead in Aceh
- Hotspots increase in Sumatra, haze could return: NEA