Listed on the International Union for Conservation of Nature’s (IUCN) Red List as critically endangered, meaning they face an extremely high risk of extinction in the immediate future, these animals may not live to see the end of the next decade without the a similar effort of human intervention that brought them to the brink in the first place.
Although featured in the list is the little known Sumatran Rhino (Dicerorhinus sumatrensis) and well known Sumatran Orangutan (Pongo abelii) missing in the list is also the Sumatran Elephant (Elephas maximus ssp. sumatranus) and Sumatran Tiger (Panthera tigris ssp. sumatrae) to round out the iconic ‘big four’ of the Sumatran jungle, all of which are classified as ‘Critically Endangered’ and found within the Leuser Ecosystem.
Is this really the end of the icons, or is this just the point in history where we turned things around? What we do next matters, what
you do now counts.
- VIDEO: Sumatran tiger to meet his match (bbc.co.uk)
- Sumatran Orangutan Species on the Brink as 3,950 Acre Tripa Peat Swamp Decimated (endoftheicons.wordpress.com)
Tags: Iconic Species
About endoftheiconsTripa peat swamps, once hosting the largest density of orangutan population in the world are now being exterminated by palm oil company working illegally. The last bits of the peat swamp forest are being smashed and sumatran orangutan are forced towards local extinction. are we witnessing the end of the icons? what are we doing about it?
- Why Indonesia's deforestation ban isn't enough to protect its forests wp.me/p2k0o5-pm 21 hours ago
- Indonesia and environmental sustainability: Walking the talk? wp.me/p2k0o5-pk 22 hours ago
- Can REDD save the forests of Aceh? wp.me/p2k0o5-ph 22 hours ago
- Can REDD save the forests of Aceh? fb.me/GvM1Ae79 23 hours ago
- [Press Release] Aceh Forests facing numerous threats wp.me/p2k0o5-pf 1 day ago
- Global calls to save Aceh forest wp.me/p2k0o5-pd 3 days ago
- [RELEASE] Over 1 million support worldwide to save Aceh forest. wp.me/p2k0o5-pb 4 days ago
- Dear friends, @Avaaz just launched a petition, please sing and share! avaaz.org/en/the_plan_to… 1 week ago
- Have you signed and share this petition? wp.me/p2k0o5-p5 2 weeks ago
- Sumatran orangutans' rainforest home faces new threat wp.me/p2k0o5-p3 2 weeks ago
- RT @chloemaxmin: The Case for Cool: Student Engagement to Save the Planet huff.to/16ACezy via @HuffPostGreen 2 weeks ago
- Operation Aceh – Wildlife Asia’s mission to save critical rainforest facing imminent threat of destruction wp.me/p2k0o5-p0 2 weeks ago
- Fantastic article on Aceh spatial plan in @tempodotco by @philjacobius wp.me/p2k0o5-oX 2 weeks ago
- RT @RockCenterNBC: Tonight on #RockCenter: Tribes vow to fight to the death to save the Amazon rainforest - rockcenter.co/YjtskI 2 weeks ago
- RT @_animalover: 20 #Poachers Arrested, But #Elephant #Slaughter Goes On care2.com/causes/20-poac… 2 weeks ago
- Forest for the Trees wp.me/p2k0o5-oX 2 weeks ago
- TM Zulfikar @walhiaceh: Kallista Alam shouldn't been able to contest the revocation as Governor has full authority to issue & revoke permits 2 weeks ago
- Edrian: Based investigation of the Aceh government, Kallista Alam operations had damaged the environment & led to conflicts with communities 2 weeks ago
- Moreover, Rawa Tripa was once under international spotlight concerning forest burning when clearing the land. #savetripa 2 weeks ago
- Edrian: Judges should consider environmental impact created by Kallista & impact to residents around Tripa before granting their lawsuit. 2 weeks ago
- Why Indonesia’s deforestation ban isn’t enough to protect its forests
- Indonesia and environmental sustainability: Walking the talk?
- Can REDD save the forests of Aceh?
- [Press Release] Aceh Forests facing numerous threats
- Global calls to save Aceh forest
- [RELEASE] Over 1 million support worldwide to save Aceh forest.
- Have you signed and share this petition?
- Sumatran orangutans’ rainforest home faces new threat
- Forest for the Trees
- Aceh Court Says Cancellation of Plantation Firm’s Permit in Rawa Tripa Illegal
- Indonesia’s Aceh performs worst in forestry protection: UNDP
- Operation Aceh – Wildlife Asia’s mission to save critical rainforest facing imminent threat of destruction
- Green activists see red over Sumatra rain forest plan
- Indonesia urged to extend, strengthen moratorium on deforestation
- U.S. Consumers Urged to Take Immediate Action to Save Orangutans
- 12 ministries, governmental institutions involved in illegal logging and mining: Commission
- IAR March 2013 Orangutan Rescues
- Greenpeace: East Asia Mining Behind the Reclassification of Aceh’s Protection Forest
- Check that out!
- EarthDay to #SaveAceh