Our new little baby elephant has a name, “Rosa” and is now 3 weeks old.
Returning from the river after bathing, Rosa does her best to stand, (or even lay down), under Sucis feet. Watching a little elephant running is adorable!
The rangers have begun taking her to the river for baths, and she loves it – her Mama (Suci) draws water up her trunk and drinks it, were as Rosa hasn’t got this skill yet, and just pushes her face into the water and blows bubbles with her trunk while trying to drink. Sooo funny to watch. She also lays on her side in the water and kicks around playing, while her mama is trying the bathe. Sounds familiar?
Rosa is slowly gaining some control of her truck, and can pull your hand quite strong apparently trying to eat your fingers. She doesn’t trip on it when she runs now, but does always lay in front of Sucis feet seeking attention when Suci tries to walk anywhere..
The bond between mother and daughter is exceptional, everyone is really impressed with Suci for her patience, and the rangers for their support.
Sumatran Elephants are classified as threatened species, and illegal roading, forest conversion, community encroachment, poaching are all taking a toll on numbers across Sumatra.
You can help Rosa and her baby elephant family by getting involved to help save the threatened forests of Aceh. Aceh has the best forest estate in all of Sumatra.
To make a difference, simply reply to this email of ideas or questions of how you can help. I know you all can, that’s why I’m sharing this with you.
Have a great week everyone, elephant loads of love from Aceh.
About endoftheiconsTripa peat swamps, once hosting the largest density of orangutan population in the world are now being exterminated by palm oil company working illegally. The last bits of the peat swamp forest are being smashed and sumatran orangutan are forced towards local extinction. are we witnessing the end of the icons? what are we doing about it?
- Why Indonesia's deforestation ban isn't enough to protect its forests wp.me/p2k0o5-pm 2 days ago
- Indonesia and environmental sustainability: Walking the talk? wp.me/p2k0o5-pk 2 days ago
- Can REDD save the forests of Aceh? wp.me/p2k0o5-ph 2 days ago
- Can REDD save the forests of Aceh? fb.me/GvM1Ae79 2 days ago
- [Press Release] Aceh Forests facing numerous threats wp.me/p2k0o5-pf 2 days ago
- Global calls to save Aceh forest wp.me/p2k0o5-pd 4 days ago
- [RELEASE] Over 1 million support worldwide to save Aceh forest. wp.me/p2k0o5-pb 5 days ago
- Dear friends, @Avaaz just launched a petition, please sing and share! avaaz.org/en/the_plan_to… 1 week ago
- Have you signed and share this petition? wp.me/p2k0o5-p5 2 weeks ago
- Sumatran orangutans' rainforest home faces new threat wp.me/p2k0o5-p3 2 weeks ago
- RT @chloemaxmin: The Case for Cool: Student Engagement to Save the Planet huff.to/16ACezy via @HuffPostGreen 2 weeks ago
- Operation Aceh – Wildlife Asia’s mission to save critical rainforest facing imminent threat of destruction wp.me/p2k0o5-p0 2 weeks ago
- Fantastic article on Aceh spatial plan in @tempodotco by @philjacobius wp.me/p2k0o5-oX 2 weeks ago
- RT @RockCenterNBC: Tonight on #RockCenter: Tribes vow to fight to the death to save the Amazon rainforest - rockcenter.co/YjtskI 2 weeks ago
- RT @_animalover: 20 #Poachers Arrested, But #Elephant #Slaughter Goes On care2.com/causes/20-poac… 2 weeks ago
- Forest for the Trees wp.me/p2k0o5-oX 3 weeks ago
- TM Zulfikar @walhiaceh: Kallista Alam shouldn't been able to contest the revocation as Governor has full authority to issue & revoke permits 3 weeks ago
- Edrian: Based investigation of the Aceh government, Kallista Alam operations had damaged the environment & led to conflicts with communities 3 weeks ago
- Moreover, Rawa Tripa was once under international spotlight concerning forest burning when clearing the land. #savetripa 3 weeks ago
- Edrian: Judges should consider environmental impact created by Kallista & impact to residents around Tripa before granting their lawsuit. 3 weeks ago
- Why Indonesia’s deforestation ban isn’t enough to protect its forests
- Indonesia and environmental sustainability: Walking the talk?
- Can REDD save the forests of Aceh?
- [Press Release] Aceh Forests facing numerous threats
- Global calls to save Aceh forest
- [RELEASE] Over 1 million support worldwide to save Aceh forest.
- Have you signed and share this petition?
- Sumatran orangutans’ rainforest home faces new threat
- Forest for the Trees
- Aceh Court Says Cancellation of Plantation Firm’s Permit in Rawa Tripa Illegal
- Indonesia’s Aceh performs worst in forestry protection: UNDP
- Operation Aceh – Wildlife Asia’s mission to save critical rainforest facing imminent threat of destruction
- Green activists see red over Sumatra rain forest plan
- Indonesia urged to extend, strengthen moratorium on deforestation
- U.S. Consumers Urged to Take Immediate Action to Save Orangutans
- 12 ministries, governmental institutions involved in illegal logging and mining: Commission
- IAR March 2013 Orangutan Rescues
- Greenpeace: East Asia Mining Behind the Reclassification of Aceh’s Protection Forest
- Check that out!
- EarthDay to #SaveAceh