Our new little baby elephant has a name, “Rosa” and is now 3 weeks old.
Returning from the river after bathing, Rosa does her best to stand, (or even lay down), under Sucis feet. Watching a little elephant running is adorable!
The rangers have begun taking her to the river for baths, and she loves it – her Mama (Suci) draws water up her trunk and drinks it, were as Rosa hasn’t got this skill yet, and just pushes her face into the water and blows bubbles with her trunk while trying to drink. Sooo funny to watch. She also lays on her side in the water and kicks around playing, while her mama is trying the bathe. Sounds familiar?
Rosa is slowly gaining some control of her truck, and can pull your hand quite strong apparently trying to eat your fingers. She doesn’t trip on it when she runs now, but does always lay in front of Sucis feet seeking attention when Suci tries to walk anywhere..
The bond between mother and daughter is exceptional, everyone is really impressed with Suci for her patience, and the rangers for their support.
Sumatran Elephants are classified as threatened species, and illegal roading, forest conversion, community encroachment, poaching are all taking a toll on numbers across Sumatra.
You can help Rosa and her baby elephant family by getting involved to help save the threatened forests of Aceh. Aceh has the best forest estate in all of Sumatra.
To make a difference, simply reply to this email of ideas or questions of how you can help. I know you all can, that’s why I’m sharing this with you.
Have a great week everyone, elephant loads of love from Aceh.
About endoftheiconsTripa peat swamps, once hosting the largest density of orangutan population in the world are now being exterminated by palm oil company working illegally. The last bits of the peat swamp forest are being smashed and sumatran orangutan are forced towards local extinction. are we witnessing the end of the icons? what are we doing about it?
- Aceh Reports Sixth Elephant Death This Year wp.me/p2k0o5-rK 2 days ago
- Sign the petition! We need you! http://t.co/10ZHjdRMtO 2 days ago
- Have you sign the petition? change.org/petitions/prot… 2 days ago
- Walking toward extinction. Act now! http://t.co/mJfZqQX8GN 2 days ago
- They Need You! http://t.co/23YR124VQn 2 days ago
- “@orangutans: YEL SESALKAN PENUNDAAN PEMBACAAN PUTUSAN GUGATAN KLH - Antara Aceh bit.ly/1d1ZwOm” 5 days ago
- RT @BillyCoxLive: "I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying."- Michael Jordan 5 days ago
- RT @CaroleAnneCAF: 40% of Tasmania an island that covers 68,332 km2, is national parks, & World Heritage sites. Is about the same size as M… 5 days ago
- Thanks for all the RT!! 5 days ago
- @graspunep have faxed a letter for Aceh Governor! Reqesting World Heritage status for Leuser Ecosystem, what about u? endoftheicons.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/grasp-… 6 days ago
- [FAX ACTION] World Heritage for Leuser Ecosystem letter template and contact list. wp.me/p2k0o5-rA 1 week ago
- RT @mongabay: Big trees, like the old-growth forests they inhabit, are declining globally news.mongabay.com/2012/0126-big_… 1 week ago
- THESE ARE THE RECOMMENDATIONS FROM ACEH'S SPATIAL PLAN WORKSHOP wp.me/p2k0o5-rx 2 weeks ago
- Rogue Palm Oil Company, Fearing Negative Ruling, Initiates Conflict with Indonesian Court wp.me/p2k0o5-rr 4 weeks ago
- RT @borneoaction: What are you doing this week for #OrangutanCaringWeek 2013? Find activities near you at ow.ly/qPwVD 4 weeks ago
- RT @LeoDiCaprio: 30k elephants killed last year. Want to put an end to this? Let's start in the U.S. Pls sign & share: http://t.co/6HQGfjyP… 4 weeks ago
- RT @SumatranTiger1: In Indonesia we have logging, Palm Oil and now prime areas will be taken for Sugar. Please sign. fb.me/21KryL6Cu 4 weeks ago
- RT @LagerWhale: Deforestation around the globe accounts for 20% of greenhouse emissions annually - there's ALWAYS better options than clear… 4 weeks ago
- Western black rhino officially declared extinct wp.me/p2k0o5-ro 1 month ago
- Plantations winnow tigers down to few hundreds wp.me/p2k0o5-rl 1 month ago
- Aceh Reports Sixth Elephant Death This Year
- [FAX ACTION] World Heritage for Leuser Ecosystem letter template and contact list.
- THESE ARE THE RECOMMENDATIONS FROM ACEH’S SPATIAL PLAN WORKSHOP
- Rogue Palm Oil Company, Fearing Negative Ruling, Initiates Conflict with Indonesian Court
- Western black rhino officially declared extinct
- Plantations winnow tigers down to few hundreds
- The Tale of Papa Genk
- Soldiers in Aceh jailed for owning rare animals
- The battle to save Sumatra’s elephants from extinction
- It’s Not All Bad: Americans and Palm Oil (Nat Geo)
- Another Elephant Found Dead in Aceh
- Hotspots increase in Sumatra, haze could return: NEA
- Indonesia: Forestry Failures Jeopardize ‘Green Growth’
- Elephant poaching
- Students Urge Court to Withdraw PT Kalista Alam’s Permit
- Peat Fires Within PT. Kalista Alam Caused Through Human Act
- Flood in Tripa Caused By Damaged Peat Function
- Why Indonesia Must Look to India to Save the Sumatran Tiger
- Indonesia’s fires are of global concern
- Special report Palm oil’s forgotten victims: Sumatran elephants suffer in rush for ‘liquid ivory’