Our new little baby elephant has a name, “Rosa” and is now 3 weeks old.
Returning from the river after bathing, Rosa does her best to stand, (or even lay down), under Sucis feet. Watching a little elephant running is adorable!
The rangers have begun taking her to the river for baths, and she loves it – her Mama (Suci) draws water up her trunk and drinks it, were as Rosa hasn’t got this skill yet, and just pushes her face into the water and blows bubbles with her trunk while trying to drink. Sooo funny to watch. She also lays on her side in the water and kicks around playing, while her mama is trying the bathe. Sounds familiar?
Rosa is slowly gaining some control of her truck, and can pull your hand quite strong apparently trying to eat your fingers. She doesn’t trip on it when she runs now, but does always lay in front of Sucis feet seeking attention when Suci tries to walk anywhere..
The bond between mother and daughter is exceptional, everyone is really impressed with Suci for her patience, and the rangers for their support.
Sumatran Elephants are classified as threatened species, and illegal roading, forest conversion, community encroachment, poaching are all taking a toll on numbers across Sumatra.
You can help Rosa and her baby elephant family by getting involved to help save the threatened forests of Aceh. Aceh has the best forest estate in all of Sumatra.
To make a difference, simply reply to this email of ideas or questions of how you can help. I know you all can, that’s why I’m sharing this with you.
Have a great week everyone, elephant loads of love from Aceh.
About endoftheiconsTripa peat swamps, once hosting the largest density of orangutan population in the world are now being exterminated by palm oil company working illegally. The last bits of the peat swamp forest are being smashed and sumatran orangutan are forced towards local extinction. are we witnessing the end of the icons? what are we doing about it?
- Indonesian activist wins Goldman Prize for fighting palm oil, deforestation wp.me/p2k0o5-s6 4 months ago
- Update petisi: DUKUNGAN MENDESAK DIPERLUKAN UNTUK PENYELAMATAN ORANGUTAN DI KAWASAN EKOSISTEM LEUSER! wp.me/p2k0o5-s4 4 months ago
- Petition updates: URGENT SUPPORT NEEDED TO SAVE THE ORANGUTANS OF THE LEUSER ECOSYSTEM! wp.me/p2k0o5-s1 4 months ago
- Palm Oil: The Other Kind of Oil Spill wp.me/p2k0o5-rZ 5 months ago
- PRESS RELEASE : Aceh NGOs call on the European Union to urgently mediate as conflict escalates over Aceh… wp.me/p2k0o5-rU 5 months ago
- Aceh Lawmakers Reject Clarification of Interior Ministry wp.me/p2k0o5-rR 5 months ago
- In precedent-setting case, palm oil company fined $30M for destroying orangutan forest wp.me/p2k0o5-rP 7 months ago
- Palm oil company fined US$30m for clearing 1,000 hectares in Indonesia wp.me/p2k0o5-rN 7 months ago
- Aceh Reports Sixth Elephant Death This Year wp.me/p2k0o5-rK 8 months ago
- Sign the petition! We need you! http://t.co/10ZHjdRMtO 8 months ago
- Have you sign the petition? change.org/petitions/prot… 8 months ago
- Walking toward extinction. Act now! http://t.co/mJfZqQX8GN 8 months ago
- They Need You! http://t.co/23YR124VQn 8 months ago
- “@orangutans: YEL SESALKAN PENUNDAAN PEMBACAAN PUTUSAN GUGATAN KLH - Antara Aceh bit.ly/1d1ZwOm” 8 months ago
- RT @BillyCoxLive: "I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying."- Michael Jordan 8 months ago
- RT @CaroleAnneCAF: 40% of Tasmania an island that covers 68,332 km2, is national parks, & World Heritage sites. Is about the same size as M… 8 months ago
- Thanks for all the RT!! 8 months ago
- @graspunep have faxed a letter for Aceh Governor! Reqesting World Heritage status for Leuser Ecosystem, what about u? endoftheicons.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/grasp-… 8 months ago
- [FAX ACTION] World Heritage for Leuser Ecosystem letter template and contact list. wp.me/p2k0o5-rA 9 months ago
- RT @mongabay: Big trees, like the old-growth forests they inhabit, are declining globally news.mongabay.com/2012/0126-big_… 9 months ago