Rhino kingpins to be put behind bars
South African authorities are beginning to dismantle the sophisticated criminal gangs guilty of killing rhinos.
25 September 2012 | JeVanne Gibbs
This is according to the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) for Nature’s African rhino programme manager Dr. Joseph Okori concurred by saying “Putting powerful kingpins behind bars for 10 or 20 years will send a strong message to others not to engage in criminal behaviour,” he said.
Under the theme ‘Five Rhino Species Forever’, World Rhino Day on Saturday aimed to mobilise South Africans to take a stand against rhino poaching and the illegal trade in rhino horn.
Acting head of communications of the South African National Parks Paul Daphne said the day highlighted the efforts that are being made to fight the scourge of rhino poaching around the world and reduce the demand for rhino horn.
“It is indeed worrying that we are still losing such a high number of rhinos but the increasing number of successful arrests and steeper sentences such as the combined 58 years imprisonment imposed on two suspected rhino poachers recently is encouraging.”
Gauteng Department of Environmental Affairs spokesman Albi Modise said the South African government views the illegal killing of rhinos in a very serious light and its commitment in addressing rhino poaching remains unwavering.
“It is clear we need to continue working with all stakeholders if this war on rhino poaching is to be won.
It is clear that this is an organised crime. And in dealing with organised criminals we need inputs and action from all South Africans in an organised manner.”
The latest statistics on rhinos poached in the country this year stands at 388, with the Kruger National Park having lost a total of 241 rhinos since the beginning of the year.
About endoftheiconsTripa peat swamps, once hosting the largest density of orangutan population in the world are now being exterminated by palm oil company working illegally. The last bits of the peat swamp forest are being smashed and sumatran orangutan are forced towards local extinction. are we witnessing the end of the icons? what are we doing about it?
- RT @LeoDiCaprio: Help @Avaaz protect massive stretches of pristine rainforest in #Indonesia. Pls sign & RT: bit.ly/16KI6Xf #SaveAceh 17 hours ago
- RT @LeoDiCaprio: Rainforest in Sumatra - home to tigers, orangutans & elephants - facing destruction. Learn more: bit.ly/13xGKbN #S… 17 hours ago
- Why Indonesia's deforestation ban isn't enough to protect its forests wp.me/p2k0o5-pm 3 days ago
- Indonesia and environmental sustainability: Walking the talk? wp.me/p2k0o5-pk 3 days ago
- Can REDD save the forests of Aceh? wp.me/p2k0o5-ph 3 days ago
- Can REDD save the forests of Aceh? fb.me/GvM1Ae79 3 days ago
- [Press Release] Aceh Forests facing numerous threats wp.me/p2k0o5-pf 3 days ago
- Global calls to save Aceh forest wp.me/p2k0o5-pd 5 days ago
- [RELEASE] Over 1 million support worldwide to save Aceh forest. wp.me/p2k0o5-pb 6 days ago
- Dear friends, @Avaaz just launched a petition, please sing and share! avaaz.org/en/the_plan_to… 1 week ago
- Have you signed and share this petition? wp.me/p2k0o5-p5 2 weeks ago
- Sumatran orangutans' rainforest home faces new threat wp.me/p2k0o5-p3 2 weeks ago
- RT @chloemaxmin: The Case for Cool: Student Engagement to Save the Planet huff.to/16ACezy via @HuffPostGreen 2 weeks ago
- Operation Aceh – Wildlife Asia’s mission to save critical rainforest facing imminent threat of destruction wp.me/p2k0o5-p0 3 weeks ago
- Fantastic article on Aceh spatial plan in @tempodotco by @philjacobius wp.me/p2k0o5-oX 3 weeks ago
- RT @RockCenterNBC: Tonight on #RockCenter: Tribes vow to fight to the death to save the Amazon rainforest - rockcenter.co/YjtskI 3 weeks ago
- RT @_animalover: 20 #Poachers Arrested, But #Elephant #Slaughter Goes On care2.com/causes/20-poac… 3 weeks ago
- Forest for the Trees wp.me/p2k0o5-oX 3 weeks ago
- TM Zulfikar @walhiaceh: Kallista Alam shouldn't been able to contest the revocation as Governor has full authority to issue & revoke permits 3 weeks ago
- Edrian: Based investigation of the Aceh government, Kallista Alam operations had damaged the environment & led to conflicts with communities 3 weeks ago