Kerri-Anne’s personal battle
In this exhilarating report, Kerri-Anne Kennerley travelled to Kenya to see one of the rarest species on earth — the northern white rhino.
There are only eight of this particular species of rhino left in the world, and out of that, only four that can potentially breed. These four were brought to Ol Pejeta Conservancy from the Czech Republic two years ago, with the help of wildlife organisation Flora and Fauna International and the great generosity of an Australian banker, Alistair Lucas.
Kennerley visited these rhinos along with Lucas, who was seeing them for the first time since they took their first steps on African soil two years ago.
These, along with all the other black and white rhino on the conservancy, are heavily guarded — they live behind electric fences on the 40,000-hectare conservancy. Armed guards patrol night and day, so heavy is the threat of poaching. Poaching has spiked in recent years due to the increased popularity of the use of ground rhino horn in traditional medicine in Vietnam and China.
“We have lost I think about nine rhinos, nine rhinos in the last fifteen years to poaching of which six have been lost in the last two years. So that gives you an indication of how the pressure from poaching has increased so dramatically in recent times,” said Ol Pejeta CEO Richard Vigne.
“Right now, the only way to secure rhino populations is to have armed security with a high capacity to operate both in daylight and at night to deter poachers. If you left rhinos in an unprotected area now, I would give them no longer than a week or two before they would be killed.”
So extreme is the threat in South Africa, where nearly 300 rhinos have been poached this year alone, that radical steps are being taken. Kennerley travelled to a farm on the outskirts of Kruger National Park, where rancher John Hume has taken to dehorning his rhinos every year in a bid to make them less appealing to poachers — an act he was driven to do after losing some of his stock to poachers. And Hume doesn’t want to stop there: he wants to create a legal trade in rhino horn to cut the poachers out of the picture.
In the meantime, World Wildlife Fund South Africa have taken another approach to safeguard the species, flying rhinos by chopper to better ground in a bid to increase breeding. Led by vet Dr Jacques Flamand, the Black Rhino Range Expansion project aims to create new rhino populations. They’ve run the project for eight years, with over 40 calves born during that time.
- Yao Ming Travels to Africa to Help Fight Poaching (ecorazzi.com)
- Rhinos to be killed in record number this year, says new wildlife report (bikyamasr.com)
- Rhino poaching crisis fueled by insatiable demand, new report finds (mnn.com)
- A Perilous Threat to Rhinos (aytacgok.wordpress.com)
- More than 500 rhinos could perish this year (mnn.com)
- Asian Countries Driving Rhino, Elephant Poaching (theepochtimes.com)
- You: The Horn Mafia: Africa Losing the Battle against Rhino Poachers (spiegel.de)
- South Africa reports 281 endangered rhinos killed from January to June, 176 arrests (vancouversun.com)
- Placing Ad for Rhino Horn, 3 years jail sentence (endoftheicons.wordpress.com)
- Affluent Vietnamese driving rhino horn poaching in South Africa, report warns (guardian.co.uk)
About endoftheiconsTripa peat swamps, once hosting the largest density of orangutan population in the world are now being exterminated by palm oil company working illegally. The last bits of the peat swamp forest are being smashed and sumatran orangutan are forced towards local extinction. are we witnessing the end of the icons? what are we doing about it?
- Why Indonesia's deforestation ban isn't enough to protect its forests wp.me/p2k0o5-pm 2 days ago
- Indonesia and environmental sustainability: Walking the talk? wp.me/p2k0o5-pk 2 days ago
- Can REDD save the forests of Aceh? wp.me/p2k0o5-ph 2 days ago
- Can REDD save the forests of Aceh? fb.me/GvM1Ae79 2 days ago
- [Press Release] Aceh Forests facing numerous threats wp.me/p2k0o5-pf 2 days ago
- Global calls to save Aceh forest wp.me/p2k0o5-pd 4 days ago
- [RELEASE] Over 1 million support worldwide to save Aceh forest. wp.me/p2k0o5-pb 5 days ago
- Dear friends, @Avaaz just launched a petition, please sing and share! avaaz.org/en/the_plan_to… 1 week ago
- Have you signed and share this petition? wp.me/p2k0o5-p5 2 weeks ago
- Sumatran orangutans' rainforest home faces new threat wp.me/p2k0o5-p3 2 weeks ago
- RT @chloemaxmin: The Case for Cool: Student Engagement to Save the Planet huff.to/16ACezy via @HuffPostGreen 2 weeks ago
- Operation Aceh – Wildlife Asia’s mission to save critical rainforest facing imminent threat of destruction wp.me/p2k0o5-p0 2 weeks ago
- Fantastic article on Aceh spatial plan in @tempodotco by @philjacobius wp.me/p2k0o5-oX 2 weeks ago
- RT @RockCenterNBC: Tonight on #RockCenter: Tribes vow to fight to the death to save the Amazon rainforest - rockcenter.co/YjtskI 2 weeks ago
- RT @_animalover: 20 #Poachers Arrested, But #Elephant #Slaughter Goes On care2.com/causes/20-poac… 2 weeks ago
- Forest for the Trees wp.me/p2k0o5-oX 2 weeks ago
- TM Zulfikar @walhiaceh: Kallista Alam shouldn't been able to contest the revocation as Governor has full authority to issue & revoke permits 2 weeks ago
- Edrian: Based investigation of the Aceh government, Kallista Alam operations had damaged the environment & led to conflicts with communities 2 weeks ago
- Moreover, Rawa Tripa was once under international spotlight concerning forest burning when clearing the land. #savetripa 2 weeks ago
- Edrian: Judges should consider environmental impact created by Kallista & impact to residents around Tripa before granting their lawsuit. 2 weeks ago
- Why Indonesia’s deforestation ban isn’t enough to protect its forests
- Indonesia and environmental sustainability: Walking the talk?
- Can REDD save the forests of Aceh?
- [Press Release] Aceh Forests facing numerous threats
- Global calls to save Aceh forest
- [RELEASE] Over 1 million support worldwide to save Aceh forest.
- Have you signed and share this petition?
- Sumatran orangutans’ rainforest home faces new threat
- Forest for the Trees
- Aceh Court Says Cancellation of Plantation Firm’s Permit in Rawa Tripa Illegal
- Indonesia’s Aceh performs worst in forestry protection: UNDP
- Operation Aceh – Wildlife Asia’s mission to save critical rainforest facing imminent threat of destruction
- Green activists see red over Sumatra rain forest plan
- Indonesia urged to extend, strengthen moratorium on deforestation
- U.S. Consumers Urged to Take Immediate Action to Save Orangutans
- 12 ministries, governmental institutions involved in illegal logging and mining: Commission
- IAR March 2013 Orangutan Rescues
- Greenpeace: East Asia Mining Behind the Reclassification of Aceh’s Protection Forest
- Check that out!
- EarthDay to #SaveAceh